Welcome, Everyone!

A site to share a family perspective on compassionate, eco-conscious living, including fast, easy vegan recipes that taste good enough for everyone. Browse, comment, share!

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

OMG! It's a Mouse!

OMG!  Is that a mouse?  The tell-tale droppings confirm the unmistakable truth.  A mouse, or as I later discover, three different mice, have taken up residence in the apparently mouse-cozy area surrounding our trash can and recycling center under the kitchen sink.  Now what?  I use a live trap.  It works for two of the mice, and I release them outside on our property.  But will they find their way back into our house?  Probably.  And what about the third mouse who has become wary of the "humane" trap?  The mouse is now boldly chewing the paper boxes in the recycling bin to use for nesting.  Despite my reservations, I am actually going to try an electronic repeller to see if, in fact, it makes the mouse uncomfortable enough to leave on its own.  Wishful thinking, right?  I'll let you know.

Am I wrong to be using the live trap?  Animal behaviorists point out that releasing a trapped mouse in a remote location, such as a field, subjects the mouse to stress and almost certain death anyway from predators like hawks or even other territorial mice already living there.  Many people think the instant kill snap traps are the most humane answer.  Maybe, but the instant kill part is not an option for me.  So, for now, I still have one mouse happily building its nest under the kitchen sink.  I need a solution fast, before it has babies!  Yikes!

Please let me know if you have a successful solution.  Clicking on "comments" below opens the comment box.

Update:  I have plugged in an electronic repeller and placed a different style live trap.  Wish me luck!

2nd Update:  Success and tragedy!  The third mouse entered the live trap but I didn't find it soon enough.  Even though I check the traps each morning, this mouse was nearly suffocated when I found it.  I took it outside, but the prognosis looked grim.  Humane trap?  Hardly.  The traps need air holes!

No comments:

Post a Comment