Welcome, Everyone!

A site to share a family perspective on compassionate, eco-conscious living, including fast, easy vegan recipes that taste good enough for everyone. Browse, comment, share!

Monday, November 30, 2009

Green Shopping Bags and Gift Wrap

As the holiday shopping season gains momentum, I am reminded to shop green. For me, that means using reusable shopping bags at every store, every time. I keep a folded bag in my purse all the time, so even if I forget to bring one with me, I always have that one as a backup. If you end up with a plastic bag, it is so easy to recycle them now. All of the grocery stores I go to plus WalMart and others have bins at the front of the store for recycling empty plastic bags. So simple to do and so important!

Gift wrap is proving to be more of a challenge. I made a commitment this year to buy only recycled paper products. So paper wrapping will be from a recycled source, either online or at the store. Another idea is to wrap a gift with a fabric gift, such as a baby blanket, throw or scarf, etc. This might work for my teenage daughters, as one loves fleece throws and the other often wears a scarf with her outfit or coat. My husband and son will require more creativity. Tuck a small gift inside a glove, stocking hat or sock, perhaps? I am really committed to not wasting paper. Please share your ideas!

No comments:

Post a Comment